Monday, May 21, 2007

I can't wait. Four more years...of evangelism training


I remember it like it was yesterday...I am sure you all know what you were doing doing the Vice Presidential Debate in the fall of 2004. Well maybe I am the only one who can definitely remember what I was doing.

I had attended a Leaders for the Harvest Retreat the weekend before the debate. On the retreat we had a time of scripture reading, solitude, and prayer...just some good ol' quit time. I remember thinking I paid to come to this retreat, now they are sending me out into the woods to meditate on one paragraph of scripture.

It was a new experience for me. I remember how the first 45 minutes kind of drug on. It was hard for me to slow down and just think about nothing. Then I began to read the scripture passage over and over. (Still nothing - no great ah-ha moment for me) Well I continued to pray and read the same verses...about to hours into it I really was wondering what I was doing. Then as it came closer to the time to get back to the main cabin...I began writing, and writing and journaling some more...my ah-ha moment came on so fast it almost scared me. I could not write fast enough to keep up with my thoughts. It was a truly Spirit-filled moment for me.

I came away from that meeting with the name of a book in my head. Permission Evangelism by Michael Simpson. I looked back at my notes. I did not see where I jotted the name down or where the guide book referenced it. I just knew I had to buy this book.

I bought it on Monday, then started reading it during the VP Debate. I started Permission Evangelism and did not put it down until I had read it all. At 2 am I was so pumped about this book I just finished. That was my first time reading Permission Evangelism, since then I have reread it several times and taught through a discussion of the book.

I look forward to announcing some very exciting news about Permission Evangelism and Westview Church. I look forward to seeing God use His people to initiate conversations, engage people, and bless those relationships.

Drop back soon for a special announcement!

No comments: