Tuesday, February 6, 2007

What do you mean by Christian?

Billy Graham? Tony Dungy? Jim Baker or Jimmy Swaggart?

Unfortunately, a lot of Americans think negatively about Christians. Many people relate a scandal, a painful memory. or just associate negative media accounts to the "label" Christian.

Michael Simpson, in his book Permission Evangelism asks the question "What are you?" here is a quick quote from the book that really struck a cord with me.

"Like it or not, the word "Christian" has been poisoned in America. It is not a word that we should abandon, but that word will never save anyone. That word will never draw you closer to anyone but another Christian. When you have earned the respect of another person, claim what you will, but until then be wary of Christian argot that closes relational doors. Sensitivity does not presuppose that you compromise your faith.

When someone initially asks me if what I believe, I rarely declare that I am a Christian until I know a little about that person's belief system. Shocked? Let me explain why. Until I know the person's preconceived notion of Christianity, I risk branding myself with his or her potentially incorrect perception and abruptly ending the conversation. I have replied "I believe in Jesus Christ," "I have a personal relationship with God," and even, "I am a reformed antagonist," just to get the conversation started. All too often, a response of "I am a Christian" put an end to a conversation with someone who was certainly interested in spiritual things.(p32 Permission Evangelism by Michael Simpson, Cook Publishing - 2003)"

To me, this reads as a simple; Think about engaging conversations, not ending conversations.

I look forward to any comments on this...I found it humorous when Simpson goes on to say, the people that get most upset with this approach are usually Christians. Look for more in my next post, "Never hide your faith!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this article, I looked up "Christian" in the dictionary and I was surprised by what I saw. Besides what I thought would be there, like "followers of Christ." Other definitions were also there, things like "decent," "respectable," and "humane." I know that I am a follower of Christ, but I often fall short in the other categories, as we all do because of sin. I guess it is up to us to break down some of those old stereotypes and boundaries that words like "Christian" have come to mean.

kjw said...

I understand what you are saying. I am quick to proclaim that I am a Christian. I too often fall short in the "other" definitions! Hopefully, through serving, prayer, and intentionally being aware of my actions; I will make wise choices to not only do the right things, but to really "BE" a follower of Christ

You comment's reminded me a thought from "Blue Like Jazz" by don Miller. He makes a point that Christians often offer "unconditional love" freely to others; as long as the recipient of that "unconditional love" aspires to look, act, and think like the giver.(Sounds like a topic for another post!) Thanks for stopping by!