Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Avoid using "Christianese!"

Alpha USA, recently sent me an email with the title "Watch Your Language!" Do Christians tend to talk in another language? Not really - but many times if an un-churched person would approach a groups of Christians in conversation, what they hear might cause the non-christian to scratch their head.

Prayed for, laying on of hands, Saved, pro-life, spiritual gifts, tithe... Even things about a service like offerings, benediction, communion, or worship can be confusing. Things common to a Christian can literally scare a seeker away. One quote mentioned in the email happened at a Alpha event. One helper said to a quest, "Do you go to church much?" Guest responded, "Not very much." Helper replied,"You should come here next Sunday, our preacher really knows how to use his Sword and get people fired up about Jesus!"

Communicating with non-church language helps the guests understand what's being said while breaking down stereotypes of Christians.

While you are initiating conversations and engaging people, remember "Watch your language!" God can bless those conversations.

Don't forget - your words can be as sharp as a Sword:)

for more tips check out www.alphausa.org

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in June I heard some of this same info from a guy named Brian McLaren. He spoke at General Synod and was promoting his Emerging Church book, "A Generous Orthodoxy."

I am not so sure that Christianese is such a bad thing, but I can see where a program like Alpha would have some beefs with it. I think that our Christianese defines us, and shapes us and our understanding of God. I don't necessarily think that we need to get rid of Christianese words and phrases all together, but we do need to use them wisely. One instance I run across often is our word for Sunday School, "Discovery Hour." This is a non-Christianese phrase, but seems to cause more confusion than just using the Christianese.

I guess for me, what words besides "worship" would we use. Perhaps it would make evangelism easier if we called it "homage to the maker of the universe" or something.

For those of you on the frontline of Evangelism, what do you think?

kjw said...

Good points - I think some of these terms do define us. I guess my main thoughts on the evangelism side are to make sure people are not confused or scared by any of these terms. I threw in worship. I don't have a better definition. It sounds silly to have to define worship. To a newcomer, music might make more sense. Once they experience music during a service it would become clearer what worship is...much more than music. There is such a variety definitions of church-speak, even among churches. "Watching your language, in the Christianese sense" needs to be something we are aware of...speaking in non-church language does not mean we have be so PC that we hide our true faith. I think you hit it on the head we you said "we do need to use them(christianese words) wisely"

My next post "What do you mean by Christian?" should be a good follow-up to this post.

Anonymous said...

Brother Keith. Blessings to you. You've refreshed my spirit with your post and I thank God that we can truly share in this way. I'm grateful to you for extending the right hand of fellowship to our community in this way. I look forward to seeing you again when you visit Pella and pray journies mercies upon you. God bless you and peace be unto you.

:)

kjw said...

Tom - thanks for stopping by...you too, have refreshed my spirit:)