Monday, January 22, 2007

Permission Conversation

Two years ago, I worked on a time line of my life, for Leaders For the Harvest. Leaders for the Harvest is a Leadership Course that really help create a desire in me to spend more time and energy focusing on spiritual disciplines.

My time line, my story? Why work on my story? Does anybody ever ask you to share your story? While writing my time line I was forced to really look at my life history. It was amazing to me to see how God has worked in my life. How can I share what I have learned from watching God impact my life? How do you share details with others with out boring them or driving them away?

When I think of people sharing their Christ Stories it reminds me of Church Youth Rallies, FCA Groups, or Sunday Evening Testimonies at Church...

I don't want to spew my whole story within every conversation I have, but I would like to share it with someone! One thing I learned from Michael Simpson in Permission Evangelism was to not unload your story right away...God will let it happen in His time. Be open to share. Wait.

One example of a permission conversation would be if someone asks "how's it going?" don't jump right back with a lot of details that lead you into you Christ story. Be patient and listen for God to open doors. One response I like that was cited in the book, is to respond by saying "I have a lot of exciting things going on in my life right now!" People will then either be satisfied by your small talk or be led to ask for more.
The conversation might end on your statement.

Six months later that same parent might be sitting next to you at the soccer game. God could prompt them to say something like this,"You mentioned a while back that you had some exciting things going on - what's so exciting?"

God may be leading them to engage in your conversation you initiated six months ago...will God Bless that "Random" Statement? I believe He can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Keith. I'm always trying to remind myself that most people are dying for someone to care and to listen. You're right - people might remember your statement in three months, but there's an even greater chance they will if they also remember that you took a sincere interest in them!

kjw said...

Tom- Thanks for the comment. Sincere interest...I like that. I think people can become much more interested and listen to "my" story, after they see a sincere interest in them. Many times I have tried to force a relationship too quickly in order to share my faith. Best intentions, often lead to someone feeling used. It's not about my story as much of becoming part of their's